The criteria of the photo competition are as follows:
- Photos can be in colour or in black and white
- Photos must be the individual work of the named participant and must not have been previously published or entered into any other competition.
- All photos should be accompanied by a short description of no more than 50 words
- Each entrant may submit a maximum of three (3) images into each category.
- All photographs must have been taken in Laikipia within the last 5 years
- By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Rules, and warrants that their entry complies with the judge’s requirements.
- Any entry found not to comply with the Rules will be disqualified.
- The decision of the judges on all matters relating to the Competition is final and binding. No negotiation will be considered.
- The Competition is open to amateur photographers only.
- Entries must be digital files.
- For initial entry, all images must be submitted as JPEGs, saved at a high quality level, e.g. 10 in Photoshop, Adobe RGB (1998) and be 1920 pixels on the longest dimension or minimum size 2 mb. Please do not include borders, watermarks or signatures on the image.
- Entrants must also be able to supply a high resolution file, preferably TIFF, suitable for printing in all media and for inclusion in the LWF Exhibition, should their image be successful. The high resolution file should match the colour and cropping of the JPEG submitted at entry. Images within the Laikipia Tourism Exhibition will be printed to an approximate minimum of 920mms along their longest dimension.
Image adjustment guidelines
The image should be a faithful representation of the original scene. Localized adjustments should be
Allowances will not be made for poorly colour-managed, over-saturated, or over-sharpened images. Some adjustment or editing is allowed. The objective is to remain faithful to the original experience, and to never deceive the viewer or misrepresent the reality of nature.
Adjustments that are allowed:
I. removal of sensor dust spots
II. removal of chromatic aberration
III. removing background noise (in moderation)
IV. levels (in moderation)
V. curves (in moderation)
VI. colour (in moderation)
VII. saturation (in moderation)
VIII. contrast work (in moderation)
IX. shadow and highlights (in moderation)
X. sharpening (including selective sharpening) in moderation
XI. cropping in moderation and as long as a suitable high-res TIFF file can be supplied for printing a large exhibition display
Adjustments that are NOT allowed
I. adding or removing animals, parts of animals, plants, distractions, people etc
II. composites and sandwich shots that add element.
Copyright and reproduction
I. The copyright in all images submitted to the Competition will remain with the copyright holder who will be credited as follows: ©photographer’s name.
II. By entering the Competition, each entrant grants to the Owners a non-exclusive irrevocable license to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their awarded image(s) and copies of their awarded image(s) in all media throughout the world in relation to the Competition and the Exhibition including but not limited to all use in the context of:
- Judging the Competition
- Display in the Exhibition
- Inclusion within the LWF’s Websites, including within interactive elements associated with the
- Competition and/or Exhibition available for viewing or download from the LWF’ Websites
- Inclusion in promotional, press and marketing materials relating to the Competition and/or Exhibition
- Inclusion in merchandising associated with the Competition and/or the Exhibition
Evaluation and nomination of the winners will be carried out by a panel led by professional photographer Paul Benson, Laikipia land owners, tourism facilities and members of the Laikipia County.
- Overall Winner – 2 complimentary nights for 2 at Il Ngwesi Eco Lodge, Laikipia Coffee Table Book, Laikipia Map, and one days training with professional photographer Paul Benson
- Winners of each category – Laikipia Coffee Table Book, Laikipia Map, Free meal at Morani’s Restaurant at Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Winners of the lodge guide category also win a day’s training with professional photographer Paul Benson
Winners will be informed by email.